Friday, April 10, 2009

Two Cows and a Goat?


I’ve seen some crazy things growing up on a farm. One of the oddest things I’ve seen happened one night this past summer. I woke up around 2 o’clock in the morning because I heard a man’s voice talking. I realized right away it wasn’t my dad or my brother. I was quite alarmed at first, but then I heard my talking to this man.

Once I realized that everything was ok, I tried to figure out who would show up at our house at 2 o’clock in the morning. The only person I’d every known to come to house in the middle of the night was the sheriff. I know this sounds alarming, but if we have cows that get out or something during the night, the sheriff will come by and tell my dad. He usually even sticks around and helps my dad get the cows back to where they belong.

After I thought of this, I figured we just had some cows out and there was nothing to worry about. So, I fell right back to sleep without giving the issue any more thought. When I woke up in the morning, I asked my mom about the situation. She told me that we actually didn’t have any cows out. Apparently there were two beef cows and a goat out roaming around. A neighbor and the sheriff were taking them around to people they thought they might own these animals. My dad told them we didn’t have that type of cows and we most definitely didn’t have any goats.

I found the whole situation a little humorous. Not every day does the sheriff come to your door asking if you lost two cows and a goat. My parents and I joked about it a little, but by the afternoon we had sort of forgotten about it. That evening we went out to eat, and when we got back from eating, we noticed there were two cows in our pasture that didn’t match the rest. Yes. The two homeless cows had somehow gotten into our pasture. Needless to say we were all a little surprised. The next thought that crossed our mind was if the goat was also wondering around somewhere.

Sure enough the goat had found its way into one of our barns. My dad really didn’t know what to do. At first he thought maybe the sheriff and our neighbor had just left them at our house because they couldn’t find the correct owners, but that turned out to not be the case. These animals had just found their way back to our hose.

The next day we were debating on what we should do with them. Honestly my dad had no idea what to do with them. A strange truck came up our drive with a trailer attached. They came up and talked to my dad for a while. They mentioned they had lost two cows and wondered if my dad had seen them. Then my dad asked if they by any chance lost something else too. This really made them happy. They said they also lost their daughter’s pet goat, but they figured it wouldn’t still be with the cows.

Luckily everything worked out and the animals were returned to their rightful owner. I’ve seen a lot of different things, but this definitely topped my list. Even to this day, it still makes me laugh a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment