Friday, February 6, 2009

Summer Swims

Summer is by far my favorite season. There are so many activities that can only truly be enjoyed in the summer. Some of these include fishing, golfing, putt-putt golfing, and swimming. There are many other activities to do in the summer, but these are my personal favorites. For this particular entry I’m going to focus on swimming.


Swimming is definitely my FAVORTIE thing to do in the summer. I believe this "addiction" started in my early childhood. Growing up, my favorite movie was The Little Mermaid, and for the longest time I wanted to be a mermaid more than anything. Fortunately I don’t want to be a mermaid anymore, but the swimming fascination stuck with me.

Until I was about 13, I didn’t have a swimming pool. There was a county swimming pool that I could have gone to, but it was always really crowded and I never had much fun there. However, my friends and I found many other fun ways to keep cool during the summer. One of my favorite things to do was to slip and slide. We had a small hill in our front yard where we placed a very large tarp. When I say small, I mean it wasn’t large enough to get hurt on, but it was still big enough to send us flying. We would drag a hose out to the tarp and keep water constantly running on it. We would take a running start and go flying down it. On the way down we would occasionally hit some bumps and rough spots, but the pain didn’t phase us at all.

Even though swimming wasn’t an option at that time, I was fortunate enough to have a trampoline, which leads me to my next way of staying cool. If you have a trampoline I’m sure you’re well aware that it gets extremely hot in the summer. So, our whole way of keeping cool started with just trying to keep the trampoline cool enough to jump on. We would use the hose to spray water on top of the trampoline to cool it, but after only a couple minutes the trampoline would dry out and be back to its scorching temperature agian. Instead of getting off the trampoline every 5 minutes to turn the hose on and cool it off, we decided to just let it run. As your aware I’m sure, kids can’t just leave a hose with running water alone. Before long we were spraying each other.

This technique was very popular and we used it often, but we were able to perfect it. Once we got a little older, and smarter, we decided to hook the hose up to a sprinkler and place it underneath the trampoline. This technique combined 2 great activities, running through a sprinkler and jumping on a wet trampoline, and made an awesome way to stay cool.

Even though I didn’t have a pool during those years, my friends always enjoyed coming over to my house. We were so desperate to stay cool that we would concoct something crazy to get the job done. Once I got a little older, and with some persuasion I might add, my parents agreed to a swimming pool. Luckily the fun adventures didn’t end when I got a pool, but that’s a whole other blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment